Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Zucchini Fritters


I am such a child.  I like to reward myself for jobs well done.  That's exactly what these were.

Recently we went to Maine for a race.  I had the worst swim I've ever had.  They say you can't win a triathlon by the swim, but you can loose a triathlon in the swim.  I think it's pretty evident that's what I did.  I was in 18th place after the swim, in 7 place after the bike, and then fell back into 9th place by the end.  I was actually really happy with my run as I had been fighting and injury so I didn't expect to be able to run the whole race and turned out I was.  Needless to say, I decided it was time to start swimming...especially since my Ironman is less than two months away!! 

Last night I finally joined a gym.  I jumped in the pool and immediately felt like a rock star as I was consistently passing the guy in my lane about three times to his one lap.  Unfortunately my ego was only high for about 10 minutes before he got out and this other guy got in and started lapping me like he was Michael Phelps.  The only problem is, he wasn't Michael Phelps...I'm pretty sure he wasn't even close.  Geeze I need to swim more!  He ended up getting in the next lane when it opened up about 20 minutes later and this large guy got in my lane after him and ended up kicking me right away.  I decided 40 minutes in the pool was enough abuse for the first time in months.  Like I said, you surely can't win a triathlon in the swim.  :)

I got home and this was my reward to myself.  It was a Pintrest find.  I of course couldn't leave well enough alone and changed it up just a bit.  I'm not going to say I was absolutely thrilled with the results, but I think if I would have cooked the ingredients all a bit more before browning them they would be great.  The method of cooking by dropping them directly on the skillet doesn't cook them long enough and I can taste the raw flour, and cooking it a bit before-hand would also help to distribute the feta more evenly.  Below I have written the recipe with the changes I think need to be made.

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups zucchini (about 2 medium), shredded and squeezed to remove excess moisture
1/2 red bell pepper, shredded and squeezed to remove excess moisture
1 clove garlic, minced
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup feta
1/4 cup parsley
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 Tbs Oil

Directions:

Heat oil in a cast iron pan.

Mix all the ingredients except for the oil.


Cook the mixture on low heat in a medium saucepan for about 3-5 minutes.  Taste and add additional salt and pepper if necessary.

Spoon about two tablespoons of the mixture onto pan.


Cook until brown, about 4-5 minutes each side.

 
Enjoy!  I didn't make any last night, but I imagine this would go very well with some Roasted Red Pepper Tzatziki, or just some regular Tzatziki.

No comments:

Post a Comment