Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

Chicken, Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Lasagna


Lasagna has alway been one of my favorite meals.  I don't have it that often, because, well let's face it, it's not exactly a quick and easy dish, and it's not always waste-line friendly.  This version however, is fairly easy to put together and much friendlier on your waistline. 

Growing up, my mom never had to ask me what I wanted for dinner on my birthday, when it was my turn to choose (my twin brother and I alternated picking) it was always lasagna.  Now I'm thinking that I will need to start celebrating my 6 month birthday again, so I can have an excuse to have this version in the winter months.  I love the pairing of flavors this provides!  The layer of carmelized onions, fresh sage, BUTTERNUT SQUASH, sweet potatoes, and roasted chicken play perfectly off each other.  The cheese layer isn't quite as rich as other lasagna's but definately provides a nice contrast to the dense squash layer. 

Ingredients:

Squash layer:
2-2 1/2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed 
1 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs Sage
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbs butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 - 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (recommend roasted chicken)

Cheese layer:
15oz low fat ricotta cheese
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 Tbs sage
1 Tbs thyme

Assembly:
Lasagna noodles (I used no-bake)

Topping:
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
Directions:

Squash Layer:
Preheat oven to 425-degrees F.  In a large bowl, toss the butternut squash and sweet potato in olive oil, sage, and salt and pepper.  Spread on a large, foil covered baking sheet and roast for about 30-40 minutes, until soft, turning halfway through.  Transfer squash and potatoes to a bowl and let cool.  Reduce heat to 350-degrees F.

Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt your butter.  Add in onions and cook slowly until caramelized.  About 15 minutes.  Add garlic and saute for another 2-3 minutes until fragrant.  Remove from heat and let cool.

Mash the squash and potatoes well.  Add the onions and chicken.  Add any additional salt and pepper to taste.


Cheese Layer:
In a bowl, combine ricotta, greek yogurt, parmesan and mozzarella cheese, salt, pepper, sage, and thyme.


To assemble the lasagna:

Spread 1/3 of the butternut squash mixture in the botttom of a 9x11 pan.

Top with lasagna noodles.  I break mine to try and cover the entire pan.


Spread 1/2 of the ricotta mixture over the lasagna noodles.


Repeat sequencing with 1/3 of the butternut squash, then noodles, then ricotta, and end with another layer of butternut squash.  


Sprinkle cheese over the top layer of butternut squash.


Cover with foil and bake for 55 minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and it is hot and bubling.

Enjoy!



Serves: 6-8

Nutritional Information: 8 servings, Calories - 334, Total Fat - 11g, Sodium - 317mg, Potassium - 602mg, Total Carbohydrate - 30g, Dietary Fiber - 4g, Sugars - 5g, Protein - 28g

3 comments:

  1. Yum! This is going to be my first venture-it sounds SOOOOOO yummy. I miss being a guinea pig!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be an awesome dinner! I can't wait to hear how it turns out. Come over on Saturday night! I'm making a pizza and you will most definately want to be the guinea pig! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last night and it was fantastic. I don't think I made one change to the recipe which is rare :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete